Invitation to Apply
The Department of Geography at the National University of Singapore has launched a scheme called Postdoctoral Fellowships (Teaching) whereby appointees are required to provide teaching support for the department. Part of the postdoctoral fellowship will also provide time for publishing and/or research.
Area of Expertise
Postdoctoral Fellowship (Teaching)
The successful candidate will be someone who holds a PhD degree or is awaiting conferment (the PhD must be awarded by the time that the post is taken up). Candidates should be able to teach in the areas of urban and economic geography.
More information on the modules offered by the Department of Geography can be found at http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/geog/
Terms and Conditions
The terms and conditions for the Postdoctoral Fellowship (PDF) (Teaching) are as follows:
1. Contract to be awarded for 24 months, starting no later than 1st August 2013.
2. An Annual Base Salary of up to S$66,000 per year.
3. An allowance of S$500 a month as contribution towards housing expenses for non-citizens (i.e. non-Singaporeans) and their spouses who do not own any property in Singapore and whose spouses are not in receipt of any form of housing benefits from their Singapore employers.
4. Singapore citizens and permanent residents are eligible for provident fund benefits.
5. Travel Assistance, payable once only, as follows.
· $2,000 for the Postdoctoral Fellow
· $2,000 for spouse
· $1,000 for each eligible child, subject to a maximum of 3 children. Children must be less than 18 years of age and receiving full-time education.
The above travel assistance is a contribution towards expenses incurred by the appointee and his/her dependants in re-locating to Singapore. Such expenses refer to costs for travel, packing, transportation and insurance of personal and professional effects as well as settling-in expenses.
The travel allowance is contingent upon the Postdoctoral Fellow’s completion of his/her contract. In the event that the appointee does not fulfill the contract, the appointee shall be liable to refund the University a proportionate amount of the travel assistance granted to him/her and his/her dependants on appointment.
6. Foreign PDFs who are granted Singapore Permanent Residence will continue to receive an allowance of S$500 a month as contribution towards housing expenses. The allowance will cease if they acquire Singapore citizenship.
7. Medical benefits in accordance with the Medical Benefit Plan.
8. Formal vacation leave of 28 days per calendar year.
9. The balance of time spent between research and teaching for each PDF is about 50-50. The PDF can expect to teach up to 1.5 modules per academic year.
All applications, including a covering letter detailing research interests, publication track record and plans, and areas of teaching expertise, as well a CV and the names of two academic referees, should be submitted by 15th April 2013. The search will continue until an appointment is made. Please address and submit documents to:
Postdoctoral Fellowships (Teaching)
Department of Geography
National University of Singapore
1 Arts Link
Email correspondence and attachments should be sent to: email@example.com. Informal enquiries to: Associate Professor Tim Bunnell (Chair of Search Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org) or Professor Neil Coe (Head of Dept.: email@example.com).
Visit our websites at http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ for information on the Faculty, and http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/geog/ for information on the Department of Geography and the undergraduate modules on offer.