DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY
NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
FACULTY POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS
Invitation to Apply
The Department of Geography National University of Singapore, has launched a scheme called Postdoctoral Fellowships (Teaching) whereby appointees are required to provide teaching support for the department in addition to research.
Area of Expertise
Postdoctoral Fellowship (Teaching)
The successful candidate will be someone who holds a PhD degree (or is awaiting conferment) and has research interests and expertise in physical or human geography. Preference will be given to a candidate who can teach one or some of the following course themes:
(a) Cultural Landscapes;
(b) Biophysical Environments;
(c) Applied Geographical Information System (GIS).
The first two areas form core modules in the Singapore Studies curriculum. More information on the modules offered by the Department of Geography can be found at http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/geog/. Part of the postdoctoral fellowship is to provide time for publishing and/or research.
Terms and Conditions
The terms and conditions for the Postdoctoral Fellowship (PDF) (Teaching) are as follows:
1. Contract to be awarded beginning from July 2012 tenable for up to two years.
2. An Annual Base Salary of up to S$66,000 per year.
3. An allowance of S$500 a month as contribution towards housing expenses for non-citizens (i.e. non-Singaporeans) and their spouses who do not own any property in Singapore and whose spouses are not in receipt of any form of housing benefits from their Singapore employers.
4. Singapore citizens and permanent residents are eligible for provident fund benefits.
5. Travel Assistance, payable once only, as follows.
• $2,000 for the Postdoctoral Fellow
• $2,000 for spouse
• $1,000 for each eligible child, subject to a maximum of 3 children. Children must be less than 18 years of age and receiving full-time education.
The above travel assistance is a contribution towards expenses incurred by the appointee and his/her dependents in re-locating to Singapore. Such expenses refer to costs for travel, packing, transportation and insurance of personal and professional effects as well as settling-in expenses.
The travel allowance is contingent upon the Postdoctoral Fellow’s completion of his/her initial a two-year contract. In the event that the appointee does not fulfill the initial two-years’ contract, the appointee shall be liable to refund the University a proportionate amount of the travel assistance granted to him/her and his/her dependents on appointment.
6. Foreign PDFs who are granted Singapore Permanent Residence will continue to receive an allowance of S$500 a month as contribution towards housing expenses. The allowance will cease once they acquire Singapore citizenship.
7. Medical benefits in accordance with the Medical Benefit Plan.
8. Vacation leave of 28 days per calendar year.
9. The balance of time spent between research and teaching for each PDF is about 50-50. Each PDF can expect to teach up to 1.5 modules per academic year.
All application dossiers, including details about publications, research interests and teaching areas, as well as the names of two academic referees, should be submitted by 30 April 2012. The search will continue until an appointment is made. Please address and submit documents to:
Post-doctoral Fellowships (Teaching)
Department of Geography
National University of Singapore
1 Arts Link
Email correspondence and attachments should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our websites at http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ for information on the Faculty, and http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/geog/ for information on the Department of Geography and the undergraduate modules on offer.